Thursday, October 4, 2018

Week 7 Story: The Bird That Could Sing

The Bird That Could Sing

Chirp the bird loved to sing. He sang all through the day and all through the night. None of his friends sang, so most days he sang alone. Chirp's mother praised her son for his joyful voice. She enjoyed listening to her son make beautiful music.

Harmony, Chirp's mother had a small bakery in the town. She was known for her famous scones. She had the most popular bakery in the town. Everyone loved going there to get all the delicious treats that she bakes.

Chirp's mother was his biggest fan and he knew how proud his voice made her. There was one problem though. The town that they lived in was very small and Chirp had such a loud voice that it overpowered the whole town. It often times made the townspeople angry that his voice was so loud. Many of them had a hard time focusing on their work each day.

One afternoon, Chirp was singing as he usually does. He was at the top of the tallest tree in the town, singing his little heart out. "La la la la la" Chirp sang.

Even though he had a beautiful voice, the townspeople were becoming more angry as the weeks went on. The loud singing was starting to get on their last nerve. The townspeople decided that something needed to be done. They all made the decision to have a town meeting without Chirp and Harmony knowing.

At the meeting, all of them started to express their concerns about the noise and how it was impacting their work. "Something needs to be done" said one of the townsmen. Everyone was agreeing that something had to change. One of the townspeople suggested that Chirp be banned from the town and only be allowed back if he promises not to sing ever again.

The decision was made. Chirp was to be banned from the town unless he promised to never sing again. The townspeople shared the news with Chirp and his mother. Hearing this news made them incredibly sad. Chirp thought that everyone loved hearing him sing. He didn't realize that he was upsetting so many people.

"I can't stop singing" Chirp said to his mother.
"I know, we will just have to pack our bags and move elsewhere" replied his mother.
"What about your bakery?" Chirp said in a concerning voice.
"I'll have to shut it down" said his mother.

After packing up all of their things, Harmony had one last thing to do. She went to her bakery and put a sign on the door that read "Closed" and her and Chirp left town.

Later that day, all of the townspeople saw the sign and realized they had made a big mistake. Banning Chirp from the town meant that his mother was leaving too. They couldn't live without Harmony's famous scones.

The mayor of the town called Chirp and his mother asking them to come back for a meeting. "Surely we can work something out" said the mayor on the phone.

Chirp and his mother arrived at the meeting a bit confused. "You ban Chirp from the town and now you want us back?" asked Harmony. "We realized we have made a huge mistake by banning your son and then forcing you to close your bakery" responded the mayor. "We want to make a deal" added the mayor.

"How about we allow Chirp to sing at designated times throughout the day" said the mayor.
"What do you mean designated times?" asked Harmony
"I want to be able to sing whenever I want" exclaimed Chirp.
"Let's hear what the mayor has to say" responded Harmony.

"How about you sing in the morning, afternoon, and evening of each day?" asked the mayor.
Hmmm Chirp though to himself.
"You can be everyones alarm clock in the morning, waking everyone up with your beautiful voice" said the mayor.
"That sounds like a plan" said Chirp.

Although he didn't quite get what he wanted, Chirp was still excited to no longer be banned from the town. His mother was excited too! She could reopen her bakery and start making her famous scones again.





Authors Note: I took the original story "The Lightning and the Thunder" and added my own twist. In the original story, the characters were quite different from my story. In the original story, the thunder was an old mother sheep and the lightning was her son, who was an angry ram. The lightning was very mean and often times destroyed the homes of the people that lived in the town. He would destroy everything in his path when he went on a rage. At times he would become so angry that he would use his lightning power to strike people, which ultimately killed them. He had an angry rage that couldn't be tamed. His mother didn't know what to do. She couldn't control her son, despite her efforts of yelling at him and attempting to stop him. The only option was for the lightning and thunder to leave the town. The king of the town forced them to leave the town and never come back. I changed the ending of my story a little form the original story. In the original story, the lightning and thunder weren't able to come back, but in my story, the two main characters were able to come back to the town.

Author: Elphinstone Dayrell









7 comments:

  1. This story is really cute, and I like that you changed the lesson--it becomes a story about compromise, and community. I'm a person who obsesses over the names of my characters, because I overthink my whole life. But your names, Chirp and Harmony, are great. Especially the mother's name because she really is the one who encouraged the compromise. You also did a great job of keeping the analogy, but changing the ending. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Braley, I thought this story was adorable, and I loved that you made the characters into birds. I feel bad for Chirp, who just wants to do what he loves, and his mother Harmony is so supportive of him that she would be so willing to shut down her great bakery to move! I thought you wrote this very well, and although I have not read the original story, I can see how your adaption relates back to it through your author's note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your version of this story! I've never read the original, but from your note, I love your version so much better. The birds make adorable characters and I love that the moral of the story is compromise, but also that just because you love something and think you're great at it, doesn't mean everyone else will love your talent as much as you do. LOL Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this version of the story was so cute, but I was so sad so see Chirp be banned. I didn't read the original story but I think I definitely liked yours better. I thought it was unfair of them to kick Chirp out of the town without even trying to fix the problem they just got rid of it. I thought this was a really well done story and I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Braley!
    This story is so creative! I loved reading about Chirp and his quest to sing in town. The whole story seemed like some Disney short and it was super cute! You did such a great job taking the original and changing it to make it something completely new and different. Also, the cartoon bird picture was a perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Braley! I love this story, especially because I'm imagining Chirp to be the cute little bird that you included an image of. I think that you did a great job at developing him as such a benevolent character that has no bad intentions and just wants to sing. This makes it so easy to sympathize with him as the protagonist in the story. Also, I don't know if its just because I really love food, but I think it would be really interesting to hear more about why the town loved Harmony's scones so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Braley. I really enjoyed your story because it was a simple one and gives a reason to why birds sing at certain times during the day. I love the fact that the reason the town was reconsidering their decision was because they were going to lose their scones. In the end Chirp got what he wanted but he just has to tone it down a bit and his mother still gets to run her bakery which is good for her and the town.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Notes: March's Ears, Part A

March' Ears Author: W. Jenkyn Thomas This story was about a lord named March. He had a secret that nobody knew, except his barber. Th...